Photo courtest of Baruch Athletics
The Baruch Bearcats women’s tennis team captured its second straight City University of New York Athletic Conference (CUNYAC) title, beating Lehman College 5-2 on a cold Friday afternoon at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
The clinching victory came off the racquet of Isabel Arias at second singles, as the sophomore outlasted Lehman’s Lizaveta Markouskaya 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 to record the deciding point.
“It was so nerve racking because I kept getting updates on the other matches and I knew that it was coming down to my match,” Arias told the Baruch Athletics website. “I just made sure to focus on every single point and take it one at a time.”
It was the overall singles play that led the way for the Bearcats in the conference final, winning three of the four singles flights that were completed. Allie Jackson-King, who was named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament, defeated Sacha Espiritu 7-6, 6-2 in the first singles spot.
With the conference title, Baruch earns a berth to the NCAA Tournament, which will be held from May 12-15 of 2017.
Below are the full results from Friday’s final. Click Here for more information on the team and its conference championship.
Doubles (Baruch 2-1)
1) Allie Jackson-Hing/Isabel Arias (B) def. Sacha Espiritu/Lizaveta Markouskaya (L) 8-4
2) Hayley Bester/Sharada Tangirala (B) def. Lynessa George/Kanto Rasedoara (L) 8-3
3) Mami Aoki/Patricia Cadet (L) def. Brooke Severance/Elizabeth Mak (B) 8-1
Singles (Baruch 3-1)
1) Allie Jackson-Hing (B) def. Sacha Espiritu (L) 7-6, 6-2
2) Isabel Arias (B) def. Lizaveta Markouskaya (L) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3) Hayley Bester (B) vs. Mami Aoki (L) 1-6, 7-6 (8-6), 3-4, unfinished
4) Sharada Tangirala(B) def. Lynessa George (L) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
5) Kanto Rasedoara (L) def. Brooke Severance (B) 6-3, 6-0
6) Maria Scherbakova (B) vs. Patricia Cadet (L) 7-6 (10-8), 5-3, 0-0, unfinished