The Columbia women’s tennis team headed south to play 66th ranked Maryland as a part of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s (ITA) Kick-Off Weekend, and swept all of the matches, beating the Terrapins 7-0 on Friday.
The Lions won two of the three doubles matches to capture the doubles point, and the singles play did its part, as all six players won their matches to complete the clean sweep over Maryland.
Kanika Vaidya, Star Makarome, Alexandra Solovyev and Andrea Kevakian all won their singles matches in straight sets, while second singles Rima Asatrian and sixth singles Sarah Hu won their singles matches in tiebreakers.
The 56th ranked Lions move on to play in the championship match of the kickoff weekend against the winner of 8th ranked Virginia and BYU. The winner of that championship match, scheduled for Saturday afternoon at 1:30 p.m., will move on to the 2016 ITA National Women’s Team Indoor Championship from February 5-8, hosted by Wisconsin.
1. Kanika Vaidya (COL) def. Natalyia Bredikhina (MD) 6-0, 6-2
2. Rima Asatrian (COL) def. Arnelle Sullivan (MD) 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 10-3
3. Star Makarome (COL) def. Alexandra Stanova (MD) 6-2, 6-1
4. Alexandra Solovyev (COL) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (MD) 6-3, 6-4
5. Andrea Kevakian (COL) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sarah Hu (COL) def. Caroline Williams (MD) 4-6, 6-2, 10-5
1. Alexandra Stanova/Kristina Hovsepyan (MD) vs. Rima Asatrian/Alexandra Solovyev (COL) 5-3, unfinished
2. Kanika Vaidya/Adi Milstein (COL) def. Natalyia Bredikhina/Caroline Williams (MD) 6-4
3. Star Makarome/Andrea Kevakian (COL) def. Olga Bredikhina/Arnelle Sullivan (MD) 6-3