In an interview with Christopher Clarey of the New York Times on Wednesday, Justin Gimelstob said he will be resigning from his position on the ATP Board of Directors rather than seeking another term.
The election was set for May 14 in Rome.
“I’m stepping down because my job is to work on the sport’s behalf and the players’ behalf, and in my situation I’ve become too much of a distraction and a liability,” said Gimelstob. “I take responsibility for that, and I take responsibility for the mistakes I made Halloween night.”
The former ATP Tour player and New Jersey native was arrested in November following an October 31 attack in Los Angeles. He pleaded no contest on April 22 to a felony battery charge that had been reduced to a misdemeanor by the presiding judge.
He was sentenced to three years’ probation and 60 days of community labor, and ordered to complete 52 weeks of anger management instruction.
Gimelstob posted on his Facebook page on Wednesday:
“I am resigning effective immediately from the ATP Board of Directors. It’s been an honor and a privilege to hold this position for this past 11 years. My job was to best represent the players, the ATP, and be a custodian of the sport. My choices and actions last Halloween night prohibit me from doing that at this time. My role is designed to work on behalf of the players and the sport and it is clear that I have no become a significant burden and distraction to both. That is not something that could or should continue.”